re:[alfa] A/C interference with heater fan access?

Michael,
    I have R&R'd  the heater fan in my '86 Spider Veloce with A/C three
times....which is three times too many.  And I did get a bit faster on #3
where instead of 8 hours of labor to remove and replace, I got it down to
7.5 because I knew where all the pieces went and the installation order.

    Anyway, yes, you can remove the heater box without detaching the A/C
handler on the passengers side.  I just let it rest on the floor and worked
around it.  Of course now, the A/C doesn't work due to slow leaks of
R12....too bad my plumber neighbor isn't around any longer since he had all
the equipment to test and recharge it...a really nice guy.

    And no, you cannot remove the bottom of the heater box with it in place.
You might get it out but you'll never it get it back together again.  You
need to follow the instructions to removing the dash which includes lots of
pieces along with draining the coolant system.  The manual is very helpful
since it has the steps in order and some of the screws/bolts/nuts are
hidden.  Removing the seats is nice as well since it gives you so much more
room to maneuver about.

    Once you get to the fan, do NOT destroy the two rubber bushings that
hold the fan in the housing.  The new fan will not come with new ones (and
you can't order them separately) so gently pry them out.  Also, check the
heater core for holes, maybe replace the the two coolant hoses and the
heater valve.  These heater valves seem to have a short life due to the
rubber inside swelling up and cutting off the coolant flow.

    Many times the fan fails because water has gotten into the housing (air
intake drain hoses are clogged) and has rusted out the fan (the motor is at
the bottom of the housing.  Drill a few holes in the bottom of the housing
to drain out any water that may get in there.  Don't bother repairing a
rusted fan since you'll be back in there in about a year or so....don't ask
me how I know...  And it is a great time to check all the electrical ground
connections under the dash.

    Bruce

    '86 Spider
    '73 GTV - so much easier to R&R the heater fan