[alfa] 105 Rear seal

A question for the technically minded. When I removed the rear oil seal from my 1750 GTV motor there was a flat steel ring in place behind it which I assume is a baffle to deflect oil away from the seal. It is almost the same OD as the seal and is held in position against the rear of the bearing journal. I cannot see it in the parts book diagram or in the after market manual I use. Were these included in some gasket kits or is it a mod of some kind? With it in place the seal protrudes around 2mm from the rear face of the block but it does not seem to cause any disruption otherwise.

Michael Findlay
1971 GTV 1750
Fiat Marea 2.0 Weekend