[alfa] A/C interference with heater fan access?

Gentle folks,

Case at hand: 1986 Spider Graduate (with A/C).

My manual says that heater box removal for fan replacement must follow A/C
air handler removal, and that this includes venting the refrigerant(!).
Please assist me with other and workable directions.  I thought to split
the box at the clips (about midway top to bottom) as being the lowest
point the fan might actually move sideways.  Does this include the heater
core?  I'd be happiest if I could leave the core and A/C in place and
still pull the heater fan.

Thanks.

Michael