[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V10 #425

Hey Gang,
My two cents worth just because I can...
I don't know who Al Promisco is or what kind of mechanic he is but I can
tell you this... When we bought our 164L it needed the input shaft bearing
replaced/upgraded. I don't pay other people to do my repairs-it is my hobby-but
I'll pay for the next 164 tranny removal overhaul and replacement.
I removed the transaxle, tore it down completely to parade rest to clean  it
(the only way to ensure getting every loose piece of junk out) upgraded  the
input shaft bearing, replaced the seals and reinstalled the unit,  filling it
with Mobil 1 ATF. Ask anyone in the Mid Atlantic group, my 164  shifts and
drive beautifully. Now I have to work on cosmetics...
But back to the point, that was four straight 16 hour days of work not to
mention the rig I had to make to hold the unit while I
disassembled/rreassembled/torqued the fasteners on the gear shafts. I'm sure  being a professional
mechanic, Mr. Promisco has a lift and a helper or two but  tranny removal on a
164 is hard work. Just getting all the other crap out of the  way took the
better part of a day. I think given the comments of his  customers you seem to have
gotten a pretty good job.
Thomas Gonnella