[alfa] Re: brake piston step

Hi all,
    Peter Krause covered this subject during a tech session at his place a few
years back.  It seems that brake pads, when pressed against the rotor, tend to
'nose dive' into the rotor.  To counteract this, the caliper pistons have the
leading edge side of the pistons 'stepped'.  This causes the piston to push on
the trailing edge of the pad and reduce the nose dive and  subsequent
squeeling.
Skip Patnode
67 Duetto
Norfolk, Va
Try an aspirin before resorting to brain surgery

I'll throw in a question I've always wondered about regarding the brake
calipers. The Alfa manual shows a 30 degree angle for alignment of the
calipers. Does any one know what the purpose of this alignment is (brake
squeal or pad wear)? Some rebuilt calipers I've seen do not have the raised
section of the piston to align to, so maybe it's not all that important.