Re: [alfa] Liner seals

Sounds like your some kind of an engineer.

----Original Message Follows----
From: Michael Findlay <michael@domain.elided>
To: "Jim Steck" <jim@domain.elided>
CC: alfa-digest@domain.elided
Subject: Re: [alfa] Liner seals
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 07:40:37 +1300

Hi Alfisti

Thanks for the informative responses to my question about sealants. I summoned up my nerve on the weekend and assembled the liners using Loctite 510 gasket eliminator. This is apparently safe up to 400 degrees F and produces a very tight seal. I made certain that the liners were protruding equally at .02mm and used a temporary restraining tool to hold them in place while the gasket set. The disadvantage with this type of form in place anaerobic material is that the liners are now well and truly stuck in place. I looked at the O rings supplied in the gasket kit and I doubt that they could be any real aid in providing any 'lift' for the liners as has been suggested in some postings. Also, I may be wrong but I thought the thermal expansion characteristics of aluminium and cast iron were similar so there should not be any real movement in the assembly once clamped down. Only time will tell if this has been a success but I will provide a full and frank confession if the whole thing fails.

Michael Findlay
1750 GTY
Fiat Marea Weekend 2.0