[alfa] RE: 164 Turbo

Bill-  One of the Karl's out in NorCal contemplated this project - went so
far as to get all the required stuff out of an Italian JY - but he bailed on
the project due to lack of time and sold it on eBay.  (I wonder if that is
the same stuff now being offered to you?)

Regardless, as you seem to realize, there shouldn't be any issues with the
hardware - that part should be relatively easy.  However, I would want to
recommend a very high-flowing catalyst - you don't have emissions checks
down there any more, right? ;)  The thing I'd want to look at first is the
injectors, and what kind of HP they'll support before maxing out.  Anyone
know what size they are?  Are the ones in the S, LS, and/or Q any bigger?
If so, you might want to look at adapting one of those setups on the cheap
to buy you some more capacity and still be able to run with an otherwise
stock setup.

But that said, you really should have a custom tune for this setup.  You're
going to want some timing pulled up top or you'll risk detonation.  If
someone knows there way around the tables in the Motronic, it should be easy
to do this and increase the injector size, allowing you to run larger
injectors (then you can ignore my alternate suggestion above).

There are other approaches.  You can add a separate external system(s) that
turns on an injector at the throttle body under boost and retards the
timing.  Of course, the best approach would be a complete after-market
engine management system which allows you to throw the VAF meter in the
trash.

More questions than answers here I suppose.  How much time, effort, and
money do you want to spend??? :)

Brad

From: "AlfaBill.com" <alfabill@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] 164 turbo

I have an offer to buy a 164 turbo parts kit, which, for reasons beyond me,
I'm considering. I have no time for this but it sounds interesting.

Anyone converted a 3.0 NA motor to a kit like this? I see the main issue,
aside from having all the pieces, th be fuel increase under boost. The old
Motronic is pretty crude by today's standard, I'm curious what will work.