Re: [alfa] dirty Milano Headlights

Hi Tim:

I bought a set of NOS Bosch H4 headlamps for one of my Spider's this
Spring, and when they arrived, the inside of the lamps was covered by a
white, milky film.  I mixed up a solution of heated distilled water and
maybe a 1/2 teaspoon of Palmolive dishwashing detergent, and sloshed about
a cup of it in each housing for a few minutes (twice each).  I then rinsed
the housings with lots of warm running tap water, then room temp distilled
water, and finally isopropyl alcohol.  They quickly dried crystal clear,
and I've attached a before/after pic for you (of course, the pic won't make
it through to the Digesters, though).  Some plastics tends to cloud over
time from UV exposure, unlike the lead crystal on the lamps I've got, but
it's worth a try.

Regards,

Dean
Lutz, FL
'74 & '87 Spider Veloce's

At 03:27 PM 11/12/2004, you wrote:
>Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:28:24 -0800 (PST)
>From: Timothy Spruill <captain_hyperion@domain.elided>
>Subject: [alfa] dirty Milano Headlights
>
>Alfisti,
>
>does anyone here have any suggestions on how to clean
>the inside of the headlights on a Milano.  Mine are
>pretty cloudy.  I tried to get into a set of spares I
>have, but was a little timid about prying too hard on
>old italian plastic.  They appear to be sealed with
>some rubber stuff, and I think that is the problem.
>The screws and clips come off really easy, it is the
>rubber goo that holds it all together.  Any ideas....
>Is there maybe something that I can just pour into
>them that will do the cleaning?
>
>Also, are there any tips on removing the oil light
>sending unit from the back of the drivers side head?
>It sure is tight back there.
>
>Keep Driving,
>Tim Spruill
>Baton Rouge, LA
>'87 Milano
>'71 Spider
>'03 Mazda P5

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of Bosch-H4_1.jpg"; x-mac-type="4A504547"; x-mac-creator="4A565752]