[alfa] Shrieking GTV6

Darren,
On my 2.5 Milano I had a shrieking metallic sound that drove me nuts for months. I could produce it only by running the car hard. My car is in excellent shape and really had no issues. By the time I brought the car in and put it on the lift it would be quiet. Finally we found it, the ring gear was not tight enough on the flywheel. At high rpm on a saturated hot drive line it would flex and move contacting areas it should not and sounding like the world is coming to an end. I contacted the man I have do my engine balancing and asked him about spot welding the ring gear to the flywheel, his response was to weld in 4 spots equal distance apart or 3 spots equal distance. We did the 4 spot welds through the splash shield port with the flywheel installed and the problem was gone. I assumed this was such a fluke happening that no one else would ever experience it, perhaps not. By the way the flywheel had never been off this motor and it happened at 70,000 miles. You might try removing the lower tin port cover on the bell housing and leveraging against the ring gear at several different spots around it.
Autobob
www.autobahnpower.com

Need some sleuthing help over here...
Months ago, maybe even last year, I started hearing a metal-on-metal, pulsating, grinding/shrieking noise coming from underneath the flywheel in cold weather and seemingly whenever I ran the engine hard. Sounds are hard to pin down, but with some local help, I believe the sound is principally started by engine braking from elevated rpm's. Running hard alone will not necessarily cause it, but engine braking does.

So, not being familiar with the interface around the flywheel/prop-shaft, I would like to know if any digesti can come up with a good explanation as to the actual source of the sound.

Though it may mean nothing, a coincidental problem is that the starter motor simply will not start once hot. Solenoid clicks, but there's no go. As I understand it, chances of hitting the flywheel just-so so that the gear does not engage are pretty slim, but the point is that it happens consistently. (the starter has been serviced 2 times with new solenoids each time).

Thanks for any ideas,
Darren
83 GTV6