[no subject]

Regarding the following question.  The original pistons had a "step"
that was, I believe, there to provide a progressive application of the
brake pad and therefore a more gradual "bite".  When I originally
bought my 69 GTV, the pistons were not aligned properly and the
car under heavy braking at a track day would jump 3 feet to the
right under heavy braking.  It was an interesting experience!  After
aligning the pistons properly, the car stopped straight and true.
If the pistons don't have the "step", then you have nothing to
reference for the alignment.  I have never seen any explanation
for the "step", but I have a sneaking suspicion it was to provide
a more progressive brake application.  Interesting solution.
Don

I'll throw in a question I've always wondered about regarding the brake
calipers. The Alfa manual shows a 30 degree angle for alignment of the
calipers. Does any one know what the purpose of this alignment is (brake
squeal or pad wear)? Some rebuilt calipers I've seen do not have the raised
section of the piston to align to, so maybe it's not all that important.