Re: [alfa] best 2 liter engine to hop up?

Your 66 GTV has clutch & brake pedals thru the floor and direct linkage to the clutch instead of hydraulic master cylinder with slave. As I remember, 2L engines won't mate with the 1600 bellhousing and clutch mechanism and you will have to also use the 2L bellhousing and clutch. This means jury rigging a clutch master cylinder to the thru-floor clutch pedal. Maybe my recollection is out of date and this may not be a real problem. I once married a 2L engine from a 74 Spider to a 1300 67 GT Jr. and had to install a clutch MC on a bracket under the floor so it is doable. I would be interested to hear about other similar experiences.
Gil Gagne
Port Orange, FL
1985 Spider

Carl Liebold wrote:

I'm thinking of hopping up a 2 liter engine for my 66 GTV. There are differences between the 2 liter engines... is there a common preference among racers as to which version/years work better as a starting point? I know the starters and gear rings changed, did anything else change that makes a difference?
If it matters, I'll be tossing the spica and putting 45 webers and headers on and running around 10:1 compression. It will be a street car.
Carl --