[alfa] Sealants at the bottom of the cyl liners and MIG welders

When I had my 74 GTV engine rebuilt about 8 years ago the alfa shop (Morrisville, PA) recommended putting sealant (blue RTV is my only recollection) along with the o-ring due to the pitting in aluminum. I accepted the recommendation and the car has been fine. It's not a daily driver so the milage has be low since the rebuilt (~10K) but there's no indication of oil in the coolant or loss of coolant.

BTW regarding the MIG welders I'm very happy with the Lincoln MIG PAC (110V) w/ Argon/CO2 gas. It's very easy to get parts for too (Home Depot if your so inclinded).

I'll throw in a question I've always wondered about regarding the brake calipers. The Alfa manual shows a 30 degree angle for alignment of the calipers. Does any one know what the purpose of this alignment is (brake squeal or pad wear)? Some rebuilt calipers I've seen do not have the raised section of the piston to align to, so maybe it's not all that important.

Happy Roads,
Al