[alfa] Welders

II purchased a Millermatic 185 Wire Feed Mig Welder about two years ago to
use on my ALFAs.  This is a large mig welder that can use the 30 pound reels
of wire.  Miller makes a Spool Gun accessory that can be used to wire feed
soft aluminum from the 10 pound reels.  The Spool gun is eight hundred
dollars - way too expensive to add aluminum capability and somewhat fragile
looking too. Miller has a beautiful Tig machine for only three hundred more.
I think I over did-it with the 185 mig model.  Its big and hard to move
around the garage and barely rolls under the workbench. If your considering
a Mig welder look at the Miller 220 volt portables.  What ever, stay with
the name brand stuff if you want to get parts and consumables with ease -
Miller, Lincoln, Hobart.   They will retain their value more and be easier
to sell. However if your working on Italian cars you may want to preserve
the cars pedigree and get a good Italian welder.  TECNA Brand come to mind
as an affordable Italian model.