[alfa] Re: GTV6 speedo problems

One might also check for droopy needle syndrome, or DNS. This malady is
caused when the interior of a GTV-6 repeatedly exceeds about 150
degrees F, on hot summer days. The stresses in the molded plastic
needle pointer cause it to contract unevenly when it cools down after
being heated by a hot interior. This uneven setting of the
thermoplastic causes the needle to bend in toward the face of the dial
and can touch it. This accounts for most of the sticking speedos and
tachometers on these cars. The fix is to remove the instrument, take
the face off (easy to do once it's out, and, on GTV-6s, these
instruments are VERY easy to take out - just remove 4 screws each) and
pry off the needle (its just force fit on the shaft) use something like
a pair of needle-nosed pliers or dikes to get on either side of the
shaft and provide equal leverage on both sides of the needle as you
pry. Once the needle is removed carefully hold it over the kitchen
range with a burner turned-on high until the needle is hot (not too
close though or you'll ruin it). Then put it flat side down on a cool,
flat surface with a weight on it immediately, and leave it to cool
thoroughly. That should take the droop back out of the needle. Push it
back on to it's shaft with pointer against the fully anti-clockwise
stop, and then reassemble the speedo and re-install it. That should fix
it. The same procedure applies to tachometers as well.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0 'S'