[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V10 #408 - Alternators

In a message dated 11/10/2004 4:42:41 AM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

Date:  Tue, 09 Nov 2004 20:58:26 +0000
From: "Allen Mitchell"  <allenom@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Alternators

If you run  your motor at high RPM for extended periods, you might
consider putting a  larger pulley on your alternator.  I compared the size
of the OEM  pulley with the size of the crank pulley, to determine what
RPM it was  spending most of its time at.  The alternator is rated to
produce its  max output at or above a particular RPM.  Since I spent a lot
of time  at 5-7000 RPM, a bigger alternator pulley would allow me to keep
it  spinning fast enough to run my electrical system, while not wasting
power  on running it a lot faster than necessary.  Also, this reduces  wear
and tear on the bearings of the alternator.  Apparently  alternators
occasionally catastrophically fail when subjected to prolonged  high RPMs,
too.

Canton Racing Products makes some big pulleys.   I had to cut a keyway in
the one I put on my Bosch alternator, but it was  easy because the pulley
is made of aluminum.  Never had a low voltage  problem.

- -Al

    I have thrown the windings off an Alfa alternator  by continuous high
rpm.  Changing the alternator pulley is good, but it  does nothing to slow down
the water pump.  The water pump may cavitate are  high rpm.
    A quick way to slow both down is to use a 1300 /  1600 front crank
pulley.  It fits perfectly on the 1750 and 2000.   This will not work for a Spica
car or any with a second fan belt for the  air conditioner.  If you have an air
conditioner on a hopped up Alfa, you  are barking up the wrong dog anyway.

If you are racing, check your rule book.   Changing the crank pulley may not
be legal.

Ciao,
Russ  Neely
Oklahoma City