[alfa] Re: Mechanical vs electric fans

One disadvantage of mechanical cooling fans that no one has mentioned is the amount of noise they make at speed. I run electric fans on all of my 4 cyl alfas and agree with the perceptions of increased power and revving ability. But another significant factor is the "roar" of fan sound that comes from the mechanical fans at moderate and high engine speeds. I recently acquired a '79 spider that has yet to get the electric conversion and the wooshing/roaring fan noise is immediately obvious under acceleration. Most of us like the sound of power, and eliminating the mechanical fan permits the more pleasing IC sounds to come through unadulterated.

//kct, Powell, TN