RE: [alfa] single-row timing chains

Well..

  _____

I want to be careful with my words, but I would bet my left ... that their
is no 5 - 10 HP gain by going to a single-row chain on an Alfa engine.  That
is impossible.  I am not buying it at all.

As a mechanical engineer in my previous career at Ford, and from a practical
perspective, that is just not possible.  I have an 8HP riding mower that can
carry me around my yard, cut 10" grass, etc. or a 8 HP snowblower that can
throw 24inches of snow twenty feet...  there is no way it takes this much
power to bend and mesh an additional row on a chain in the Alfa engine.

I don't mean to offend anyone, I am just not even close to buying that
argument.  Whatever dyno test was done was not done properly or was "goal
seeking" (for those familiar with the Excel function...).

Dr Tenney is a reputable source.  I might be misquoting the numbers, I'm on
the road and don't have the book in front of me.  But the guy knew how to
tune Alfa motors, if he says something and backs it up with a dyno test,
then that's good enough for me.

In the same letter he quoted the same numbers as Benson wrt removing the
mechanical fan.

If somebody has access to the book, and cares to quote the exact text, it
might help.

bs