Re: [alfa] Troubleshooting Advice on 70 GT Junior

Thanks Gil for your response. True I am suspecting the points and condenser. Might this be an opportune time to switch to electronic ignition?

Further note:

After resting a good while...it starts up. Did not drive it around.

Appears there is a "slave" clutch cylinder cylinder spotted looking down from the passenger side, next to the transmission bell housing.

Yes, I have a pedals coming from the floor and when I depress the clutch pedal, fluid does leak from this long narrow cylinder underneath the drivers side. Perhaps this is a master clutch cylinder mounted below??

There is a brake booster and a master brake cylinder(?) with the words Benditalia embossed on it up in the engine compartment nearest to the drivers side. The fluid reservoir is for both the brake and clutch and is not mounted atop a cylinder.

The PO black sprayed everything on the firewall so all components are coated with this undercoat sticky film!

The head and block is sprayed with a red paint. Thankfully the Webers are untouched.

Thanks, Rod

Gilbert Gagne <gil5941@domain.elided> wrote:

Rodney Leng wrote:

>Okay I am the crazy one who bought a 70 GT Junior(see Alfabb.com For Sale section) in Vancouver and drove it down(attempted to) all the way to San Francisco. Took 3 days and got close....real close. Got across the Golden Gate Bridge and into the Marina District until it choked itself to death. Engine turns but won't fire up. Has webers.
>
>Although it should be a 1300cc, the PO put in a 1750cc when the original one got tired. She was running real fine half of the trip cruising at 80mph and occasionally to 100mph, the handling was great. I was King of the Road!!
>
>When I got into Oregon I start to feel some very slight hesitation anywhere in the 3500-4000 rpm area. Then later on an occasionally hiccup as though someone yanks your back. Then around Redding, it is going consistently with power surging and cutting off. I checked the spark plug wires if any were loose during gas stops but they seemed fine and constantly checking and filling the oil. If I happened across an auto store I would have gotten new spark plugs and wires to see if that would help. I suspect maybe the points were going out?
>
>It finally died just inside San Francisco and got it towed to my house.
>
>What could this problem be??
>
>Also will a clutch slave from a Giulia 1600gt,Sed,Duetto 1750 69-71 work for a 1300 GT Junior?? Mine looks different. Longer and narrow and under the drivers door.
>
>Thanks, Rod
>--

The first thing I would suspect would be the ignition points and
distributor cap. Inspect the cap for electric arc tracking and replace
if suspect. Remember that ignition points rarely lasted more than 10,000
miles in those days, and don't forget to lube the cam that the points
rub on. Next in line is the fuel pump and/or fuel filter, especially on
a 35 year old car.

Sometime in 1969 Alfa converted from direct linkage to the clutch to a
hydraulic system. If your clutch and brake pedals are suspended from the
firewall, that would indicate a hydraulic clutch system. If the pedals
go through holes in the floor then you have direct linkage to the clutch
and no slave cylinder. Your last sentence "Longer and narrow and under
the drivers door" indicates to me that you may have located the brake
master cylinder under the pedals. If so, then there is only one fluid
reservoir on the engine side of the firewall and its for the brake system.

Gil Gagne
Port Orange, FL
1985 Spider