[alfa] Troubleshooting Advice on 70 GT Junior

Regarding the Giulia gt slave cylinder in the 1750 engined GT Junior, I'll go out on a limb and assume it has a 1750 transmission. It's my understanding theses slave cylinders are NLA (no longer available). If you use a shorter slave cylinder - I'm not familiar specifically with the Giulia ones - but the later (and believe shorter ones) require you to switch out the "push rod" from the 1750 slave cylinder and install in "new" one. The 1750 (and most likely others) is threaded and adjustable. In this case, you might take a good look at the one in there and if it looks rebuildable this might be the best solution - though certainly do check your sources to see if they have a new one first.

Those who wrench on Alfa engines considerably more than I do might advise you otherwise, but being a visual person, the first thing I'd do is to pull your plugs and keeping them in correct order, take a visual "reading". First, your cutting out could be the plugs themselves. But if the readings across the four varies (fairly significantly), I'd guess it isn't points, rotor, or distributor cap - though could be ignition wires. If all plugs are "bad" but gaps are correct and don't look as if there are too many miles on them, the ignition timing might be off (perhaps, way off). Plugs and points are cheap and few cars complain if you replace sooner rather than later.

Then you have the fuel situation. Could easily be a (or both) fuel filters plugged up. Could be an intermittent short in the fuel pump or the pump itself giving up the ghost.

Sticking with the visual theme, check the air cleaner - not everyone's good at changing them reasonably often.

These are admittedly all shooting in the dark possibilities, but in the end, checking all of these items out on your "new" car and perhaps replacing some, will at the vary least begin to get you familiar with the new member of the family.

Good luck,

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA