[alfa] Re: Spirax 80-90HD

 Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 13:09:12 -0600
From: "Andy Menapace"
 <Andy.Menapace@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Spirax 80-90HD

 I just bought a five gallon bucket of Spirax.  That's what
 the owner's manual calls for.  Before I open it, can anyone
 tell a good reason not to use it.  Is the Redline oil
 vastly superior?  I know this is an often discussed topic,
 and I hate to bring up a dead horse for another round of
 beating, but I really need to hear some reassuring
 comments.  I had been using Castrol, but have been told
 that my differential over-heating problem may be due to my
 using the "wrong" gear oil.

 Andy Menapace 79 Spider Brandon, MS
I can't speak much to your overheating issue, but If the Castrol you were ( are ) using is API GL5, I wouldn't worry about the oil, causing the hotness.

My owners manual ( 1982 Spider ) says that the diff/trans/steering box use: SAE 80W90 API GL5 oil.

Several Commercial equivalents are also listed:

AGIP - AGIP F.1 Rotra MP SAE 80W90
Shell - Shell Spirax 80W90 HD
IP - IP Pontiax HD SAE 80W90

Personally I use Redline 75W90 High Performance Gear oil for all these applications. Some people I understand use Redline MTL ( for trans ), but this has only a GL4 rating - it might be ok, but....
Hey, anyway, Redline sounds like it's certainly easier to get...( and I like to support my local brewery, uhh, refinery )

But what you have is recommended, soooo....

:)

ymmv, yada, yada

--

jeff clark