[alfa] 85 GTV 6 Shifting Problems

Dear Alfisti,

I have an 85 GTV 6.  Prior to, and after, installation of a new
balanced clutch, I have had difficulty shifting into first, second and reverse
gears.  At the linkage area of the clutch, there is no choice as to how
the linkage and shift bar are attached to the transmission shifter bar.
However, in the cab of the car the shifter presses against the side of
the console box for first and second gears.  Sometimes to get into
reverse, I have to press and release the clutch as if I were attempting to
get a cog on the gear to be in the right position.  Additionally, there
is a tendancy for first gear to pop out.  Finally, sometimes it is
difficult to get into second gear from third gear on a downshift unless I
hold the clutch pedal in and shift very slowly and gently; same
sometimes applies from a shift from first to second.

Perhaps there may be a problem where the shifter in the cab meets the
shift bar that goes back to the linkage area of the clutch.  Perhaps the
shifter inside the transmission is worn.  Perhaps there is another
reason that is not apparent to this writer.

Please give me your advise and comments as to the probable causes and
solutions.

Sincerely,

Otto F. Schug
Several Alfas