Re: [alfa] Re: Racing Alfetta brakes - long - so what's new

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:10:13 -0700 Thomas Washburn <thomasw@domain.elided> wrote:

> On Tuesday 19 October 2004 14:14, acs@domain.elided wrote:

> > It is absolutely unbelievable to me Any racing venue anywhere would ban
> > the use of ventilated brake discs if it is absolutely proven there is
> > virtually nothing which can be done to stop brake fade / brake fluid
> > boiling on a particular car - or on any car that's being raced for that
> > matter.

> There certainly is something that can be done: slow down.  And that is
> the point.

> You are looking at brakes solely as a safety device.  Brake performance
> also affects lap times.  Triple-throwdown ventilated carbon-carbon brakes
> with 8-piston calipers, for example, would offer a significant competitive
> advantage over stock brakes.

and i'll reiterate my competitive balance/spirit of class comment.

suppose that the SCCA were to allow substitution of vented rotors.
if they do it for inboard rears only, that's basically an alfa romeo
rule, and all non-alfa guys will whine.

if they make it all rear disks, then guys with drum rears will whine
(e.g., ITB bmw 2002 drivers, among others, i think some of the
older vw rabbit/golf series cars had drum rears too.)

additionally, anyone who started with vented rotors doesn't gain
any advantage from such a rule change, they can whine about
monkeying with competitive balance too.

as much as i'd love to, say, install Milano front uprights, hubs,
and brake rotors/calipers on my Alfetta, they'll never let me do
that in IT (or even in Production.) it may be an easy swap,
but it'll never be permitted.

richard