[alfa] original 66 GT Veloce Paint and Interior (AR-303 and Black or Gray?)

Carl, the matching of paint colors came up not too long ago on the
Digest. There were those who felt you could just give a paint shop a
number (paint code) and the car would be painted in the Exact color it originally was
(assuming one is not doing a color change).

My opinion, the number will get you in the ballpark, and that's about
it. The paint mixer / matcher guy at the automotive paint store told me
it is not unusual to get a series of new paint formulas for the same
color every six weeks or so. It might have been a bit of an
exaggeration, but think about it. Paints are being constantly
reformulated to pass EPA standards - especially here in California, but
no doubt elsewhere.

First, what are the odds of even an early reformulating of a particular
paint color from a particular manufacturer being absolutely identical to
original? Then what are the odds of (just throwing out a number) it being
reformulated six times over the years - and still coming out exactly as
original?

Then you have the other variables, type of paint being used today -
enamel, urethane, single stage, two stage, regular, or high solids. What
is the quality of the paint and how is it applied - inexpensive, and
only two thin coats are applied with minimal polishing - or - high
quality high solids paint and several heavy coats are applied, allowed
to dry completely, then carefully color sanded and polished.

I feel there is only one way to match the paint and that is to find a
spot on the car (unfortunately yours has been stripped) which is
hopefully "portable" and have it matched exactly and that formula kept
on the paint stores / painters computer (along with a hard copy).

Two variations on that is to borrow swatches, though you appear to have
your own, and have the paint store / painter match the swatch, no matter
what the paint supplier's formula might come up with. I wrote into the
Digest mentioning how I had borrowed the DuPont swatches from the store
where I purchase my paint. The trunk on client's Straw (AR103) '69
Spider was pretty pristine and matched the swatch quite closely, so told
store to match the swatch. Paint match guy started with the
manufacturers formula (which he showed me) and as I said, perhaps in the
ballpark, but to my eye, close to hitting the upper portion of the rear
fence. Way too light. The final match, matched the swatch exactly in
color and density.

Another alternative, but merely a variation is to go to a car show, see
a car in the exact color you are seeking (and obviously to your liking),
ask the owner what brand and type of paint and if a specific formula was
created or the reformulated, umm, formula was used - and where the
formula resides. I personally would offer at least $50 for this
information, if necessary, since that is no doubt what it cost him for
the formulation to be carefully kept track of during the matching
process, then put on the computer - not to mention the time the owner
spent, just as you have.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA

*******