[alfa] more on those brakes

Biba,

I wanted to point something out. All racing aside, brake fade doesn't
typically happen quite so unexpectedly and sensationally as you describe.
I've seen equipment failure lead to a sensational outcome, but equipment
and the car usually give progressive feedback to the driver, so it's not
a sudden, cataclysmic outcome. It becomes a situation where you can't
drive as deep into a corner before braking, and so you have time to think
about and plan for your exit strategy should you (and I don't) decide to
keep pushing it until the fluid boils and you don't have enough pressure
to squeeze the calipers. While it's a little scarey when the brakes
finally go south, it's not a complete surprise. I've driven off
the end of the straight at Portland during a time trial, and I've done it
many times at our little track at Bremerton raceway. I wouldn't even
consider pushing it anywhere that I didn't feel I had a safe exit or
Plan B possibility.

I think also that race courses are primarily designed for safety in this
regard. Pacific Raceways has a run off road at the end of the braking
zone into the downhill turn 3A.

As an aside, I've known some professional Porsche factory drivers and the
successful ones were just as noodle-head as the guys who drive with our
Alfa club track days. They were not getting paid to take extra chances
with the cars or put themselves in significant danger; on the contrary,
they were incredibly talented at reading the cars, preserving the
transmissions and the engines, and doing everything they could to squeeze
optimal performance out of the cars while also squeezing out optimal
longevity. The ones who drove beyond the car's inherent limits put
themselves and the cars into an unnecessary risk situation, and they were
quickly trimmed from the rosters.

Tess