RE: [alfa] cams for type 105 GTV 2000

> My baby is on the workshop as cylinder 3 is misfiring very
> frequently.  The plug gets wet easily and fitting a lifter
> didn't help much.  There is a bit of oil leaking hence I
> decided to sent it in.  Removed the cylinder head, tool a
> look....the block and water holes are ok....the piston and
> piston rings are ok too *phew*.  The leak was coming from the
> valve liners in cylinder 3 so that should be a quick fix.
> Having opened it up, I am toying around with the idea of
> fitting a pair of hotter cams say somewhere between
> quad and half race profile to spice it up a bit.    My
> mechanic tells me
> that I should first go for a better extractor (headers in
> some countries) before spending $$$ on the rest.  Was also
> considering 45mm Webers too but he told me to wait...enjoy
> your car first.  Anyway, it is quite likely that I will for a
> pair of hotter cams hence is there any recommendations out
> there?  The cams in my car has the following part number 105480320001.

If your car was intact (i.e. head still on the car), I'd agree with your
mechanic.  However, if the head is off the motor and on the bench, I
question his logic.  You're already eating 100% of the labor involved in
changing the cams, so what better time to do it?  Hmmm, after you put the
head back on the car, so you can pay him to remove it and go through all
that labor again?

Personally, if you're thinking along these lines, then there is no better
time to do it than now.  Not after you've buttoned it all up again.

Further, since you've got the head off the block, you might also consider
porting it.  Oh wait, I guess he'd recommend you put it all back together
again so you can pay him the labor to take it apart one more time?  Oh yeah,
then pay him a third time so you can install larger valves..

Seriously, the major power in an Alfa is found in the head - cams, ports,
valves, headers.  If you've got the head off the motor, consider all of the
above.  If your mechanic is recommending putting it back together, I'd
question his motives, the only thing to be gained is by him when you pay him
multiple times to perform the same labor.

bs