[alfa] the next project - removing dirt from the panel behind the fender on my spider

Hi all,

Well, that time is coming about again.....time for another infusion of elbow grease or cash for the Alfa. The cash infusion was last week, so I guess this week is elbow grease.

I have had various people (including the guy over at Bella Macchina in Berkeley) suggest I remove the inner fender liner behind the front wheels to clear out the silt that accumulates in the rocker just behind the wheel. I have three concerns:

1) Pulling it apart. Unlike a modern car with fancy-pants plastic fender liners, this one has metal inner panels. I can't see any screws, or for that matter, the outline of a removable panel. How have you all gone about removing this panel?

2) Putting it back. Once I take it apart, I want to put it back the way it was. How have you sealed the panel? Also, does taking off the panel disturb any undercoat I should replace?

3) Where can I get POR-15 in the SF Bay Area? A few years back, someone had recommended an auto body supply place somewhere up in Belmont or thereabouts......

Thanks for any help.

Chris Keen
'77 spider
Los Altos, CA