Re:[alfa] Collision - car valuation

Ed,

Well I was able to get the damage on my GTV6 compensated by my own insurance company. I had a declared value policy on the car, so that made life much simpler with regard to the claim from my own company. However I still had to provide them with all the valuation info on my car in order for them to get their money back from the at-fault insurance company.

What I needed in order to prove the value of the car was:

1.) Photos showing the car in its previous condition, and in which the license plates were clearly visible
2.) All receipts showing what had been done to the car. Really this is parts costs only and only some of those, etc. They don't count a new fuel pump, for example, because it's considered "wearable" (and $159 on the GTV6!)
3.) Comparable cars and what they _sold_ for. They wanted listings of similar cars for sale, but gave more weight to the ones which were sold for that amount. Basically this involved scouring old Owner mags, Ebay listings, etc. I was able to find about 3 GTV6s with similar equipment to mine which had sold on the 'Net. I also had about 4 Alfa Owner listings.

They take all of that, deduct what they feel like based on wear of parts, age of parts, etc, then calculate what they will pay you. You don't have to settle for that. If it's WAY off, tell them you'll be seeking legal aid. There are basically lots of strategies after that, but the best weapon is to just BURY them in documentation. Find every receipt you have,

FOR EVERYONE ELSE: GO GET A DECLARED VALUE POLICY IMMEDIATELY. It saved me so much grief I can't even tell you... And get specialty classic insurance if it's available on your car.

Karl