Re: [alfa] Gas issues

This a simple enough question that I think I can answer it.  Maybe even
correctly.

Biba wrote:

     Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 12:14:50 -0700
     From: alfacybersite <acs@domain.elided>
     Subject: [alfa] Gas issues

     I think I know the answer to this one, but why do many of the,

     especially, older cars not like to start when cold and need
     more gas to
     do so?

This is (I think) because the proper (just enough) mix of gasoline
doesn't all evaporate into the cold air of a cold engine.  More gas
means more burnable vapor (within some limits).  Just the right amount
if gasoline will leave some liquid oozing out somewhere wrong like down
the cylinder walls until the engine warms up.  Yes, it should build up,
but when the engine tries to fire, it will lose the excess and have to
start over again.

and further:

     The AROSC encourages boy and girl racers to come to their time
     trials in
     the "cold" months by telling them the best times are almost
     always made
     when nippy out - as opposed to on really hot days.

Colder air is denser and can burn more gasoline.  Think "free
supercharging".  30 Celsius or very roughly 60 Fahrenheit should give
you somewhere around 5%-10% more fuel/air mix available for spinning the
engine.  It isn't as simple as using only the outside air temp because
the engine intake charge gets warmed up en route to the cylinders.

Michael