Re: [alfa] 164 Poor gas mileage culprits?

Karl Robrock wrote:

Hi all,
what factors contribute to poor gas mileage? In my mind, the standard tune up
replaces plugs, maybe wires, air filter, clean out the throttle, change oil,
fuel filter. Bad O2 sensors and clogged cats can contribute to poor gas
mileage, but if your emissions are clean, what else might you suspect? Getting
about 13-16mpg out of the L, and it's never been that bad. A friend claims
10mpg out of his S. Any ideas?

thanks,
Karl

Clogged fuel injectors?
On my former L model I had bad mileage and an uneven running motor in the low rpm range - below 2500 rpm,
when I had the injectors cleaned the mileage improved for about 35% and the engine was running smooth even when driven
a little above 1000rpm. The O2 sensor first comes to mind but if your emissions are ok that shouldn't be it.

Regards,
Ales Golob