[alfa] Re: GTV Headlight connectors

At 2:39 PM +0000 10/4/04, alfa-digest wrote:
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 20:30:28 -0700
From: "Jay Mackro" <jmackro@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] GTV Headlight connectors

Jeff Matson had asked:

While investigating a flaky headlight on my '74 GTV 2000 today, I noted
that there's some sort of connector or fitting where the wiring passes
from the fender area into the headlight bucket (it's the same on both
sides, so I assume that's original).  These connectors are both toast on
my car.  They appear to have once been white or grey plastic or hard
rubber, but now are soft, puffy, and look and feel like toasted
marshmallows.
Cheeze, I'd just replace all that junk with new headlight connectors.
My NAPA auto store recently sold me new connectors for about
$6 apiece.  I was surprised at how light a gauge the pigtails on the
connectors seemed to be (look like 18 ga - comments anybody?)
but clearly when spliced into my Guilia Sprint's wiring harness, the
end result will be superior to the stock setup.
While I sadly don't have any recent NAPA experience (they closed their stores near both of my places of residence), beware that the headlight connectors sold by AutoZone don't actually fit the headlights they claim to fit! (Hopefully this has changed in the last 5 months since I tried buying some, but I wouldn't bet on it.)