Re: [alfa] MarelliPlex & multimeters

On Sunday 03 October 2004 15:53, alfa-digest wrote:

> What nice, bulletproof, accurate, multimeter do youse guys recommend?
> I have a catalog from the ToolWarehouse.net which lists several from
> $439.75 (automotive specific Ferret) to $36.50 (ES). I prefer the
> latter price, but am realistic.
>
> I rather liked the specs of the ES Deluxe Auto-ranging Digital
> Multimeter with RPM & Temperature @ $79.25.
>
> Biba
> Irwindale, CA USA

Fluke is the gold standard of handheld DMMs.  They are pricey, though.
And as you go up the product range, only one or two minor features
differentiate each model from the next (much) more expensive model.

Even the base models should support all the measurement functions you
use in automotive work.

What you really want to hold out for is a lighted display.  My Fluke
76 is a good meter, but I can't make out the black-on-grey display in
a dark footwell or under the car without a flashlight.

The other thing to get are insulation-piercing test clips.  These
allow you to easily probe an insulated wire in a tight loom.  The
cheaper Pomona-branded clips are identical to the Fluke brand (both
companies are owned by Danaher).

I see that Sears is selling a Fluke "81438" (Sears-specific model?)
autoranging true-RMS DMM with AC/DC voltage, continuity test with beep,
resistance, diode test, capacitance test, AC/DC current, min/max memory,
a frequency counter, and a lighted display.  Cheap for a Fluke at $99.
Sears also sells similar meters from other companies for less money,
though I have no experience with those.

Regards
Tom
thomasw@domain.elided