[alfa] What is this box

On a '74 Spider there is a silver colored box mounted under the dash, on the right hand side, just behind the dash air vent. It says Bosch on it along with a part number (I didn't get that off it yet but I can). There is an electrical connector coming off the back side. Can anyone tell me what this box does, its purpose in the Alfa world? Mine has been sitting there quietly doing whatever it does up until last night. I came out to my Spider, it was cold and damp, around midnight, and the car had been parked outside at work for about 53 hours. I started the car and the box started buzzing. The buzzing changed speed with the engine speed and stopped when I'd put the motor under load. Almost as if this mysterious box was reacting to engine load, perhaps fuel flow? By the time I got home and the heater had done its thing the buzzing was pretty much gone but this morning it was back a bit...then gone again. Strange...
Everything else works fine, the car still runs as wonderfully as usual. Any ideas on what the buzzing could mean?

Ed
Loveland, CO.