RE: [alfa] alfa-subaru connection

"Also, he speculated that the relationship may go back further as
Subaru's boxer engine design may have roots tracing back to the Alfasud."

My first car was an early Subaru -- a 1975 GSR coupe 1400.
The Subaru 1300 was made from '71-'72, the 1400 from '73-'76.  1971
manufacture predates the Sud's '72 release; presumably the design was also
earlier.  I strongly doubt that there was any relationship between the two.
Boxer engines used to be quite popular, from the fifties through the late
seventies.

The Subaru engine was a pushrod OHV engine, while the Sud engine has single
overhead cams on each bank.  Both were wet sleeved, but the Subaru was a
completely alloy design, while the Sud engine is iron block with alloy heads.
My '75 GSR was a surprisingly good little engine.  60mm stroke, 10:1
compression, lumpy camshaft, twin 1.5" downdraft Hitachi carburettors, 6800
rpm redline, 95hp, all from the factory.

The method of mounting the engine longitudinally with a front drive transaxle
had also been undertaken earlier -- the Lancia Fulvia springs to mind, though
Fiats and Renaults had also used this arrangement.  The Citroen 2CV had a 2
cylinder boxer and front drive.  Overall, there was no great novelty in the
Sud's packaging; Alfa just made a particularly good job of making it fun to
drive.

Believe it or not, the Japanese also used to make cars with character, before
they realised that it was not a road to financial success.  I loved that
Subaru almost as much as I love my current Alfasud Sprint.

Regards,
Anthony White
Wellington, NZ
Alfasud Sprint