[alfa] Chains/Belts/FWD/RWD/etc.

Chains/Belts/FWD/RWD/etc.

Boy, do I love it when these topics go on for a long time!  In between the
lines of the various rants, I believe I picked up the following (please
correct me if I'm wrong):

1.  Chains are good, but noisy and they sap a bit of power.  If properly
oiled and nothing goes wrong with the de-tensioners (isn't that the correct
term?), etc...then they can last upwards of 250K miles.

2.  Belts are good if they are easy to replace, but only in a
non-interference engine.  If properly installed, they can last between about
30K and 100K miles (maybe more)

3.  FWD production cars can handle, but only as small vehicles with fewer
than about 250HP.

4.  RWD production vehicles can handle too.  But ideally, one would want an
AWD mid-engine production car.

5.  All else being equal, a lighter car is faster.

Well, OK then.  Make my next Alfa a nice red 1600 lb, AWD mid-engined coupe
with a non-interference DOHC (belted) 300HP engine which has a belt (or
belts) which can be changed in about ten minutes with a Philips screwdriver
and a 10mm socket!  Oh, and if it could also get 40MPG and have reliable
(and few) electrics and gee-gaws...I'd be really happy ;-)

Cheers all!
Alfalex Csank
Norfolk, VA
69 Spider 1300 Junior