[alfa] Good News

Hello Alfiti

I am happy to report that another 91 Alfa 164L was
rescued about a year ago.  The car went through an
engine transplant that was completed last Sunday and
the operation was 99.50% successful.  The new engine
came from a 93 with 48K on it.  The car it self has
50K.

The result of the engine transplant and what followed
exceeded my expectation by alot.  This car sat outside
in a small dealers lot for 2 years (thats his
words).  By the way 3 other 164s were hopefully
rescued from this guy.

This car has a long story to tell.  I wish she could
talk.  May be she just wants to forget about it and
start new life.  Either way she now has a good home
along side her older, wiser sister; 88 Milano Gold,
which I think got jealous because she refused to start
when I was going home from work yesterday.  I
disconnected the plugs that go to the box on the
passengers foot-wall and it started right away.

I screwed up some wiring connections, such as
connecting the cable from the alternator to the
starter and the one that goes to the starter to
ground.  And then again switching them around and
finally getting them all connected where they all
should be at the starter terminal.  Mind you that I
have the manual, but page 01-14 messed me up.  That
central ground cable is actually the same thing as (it
is) the ground strap but I thought it had to be one of
the cables that go to the starter.  I also have some
left over parts (small cooper strap & 2 bolts) that
may belong to the old engine.

Now I do not have any trouble lights on the dash board
except the orange dot next to the fuel gauge.  The car
sat all that time at near empty, but now it has a full
tank.  So I am not sure why that light is on.

Air condition and cruise do not seem to work.  Once I
figure out all these buttons Ill be OK.

The engine seems to pulse (shake, vibrate) at RPMs
lower than 2500.  Once it reaches 2500 it runs smooth.
 It seems as if it is getting a lot of air and not
enough fuel.  Similar to the carburetor when the
butter fly is open too much when the engine has not
reached the operating temp.

When I was connecting the fuel injectors harnesses,
injector #4 cable did not seem to fit following its
previous formed shape.  I labeled all cables prior to
disconnecting them from the 91 engine.  I did not
adjust or mess around with any adjustments so far.
Anyone has and idea why it is pulsing, please advise?
It idles at 750 RPM now.

Later

Abe

88 Milano Gold