Re: [alfa] Re: Chains versus things that snap without warning

I must say, I have never heard of replacing the chain as a scheduled maintenance item.  My 1988 BMW 735i has 214K miles with original chain.  My dad has the same engine in his 1990 535i and his chain tensioner failed at about 150K miles.  He ignored the noise and ended up with $3K worth of work.  That being said, all the BMW people I talked with said a chain failure is almost unheard of.
What chain using OEM's out there are calling for chain replacements at 70K miles??  That would really surprise me...
--
Jason Hagen
Chicago, IL