[alfa] Re: re no more than 5000 rpm

I should have thought of that. The Alfa GTV-6 speedo and tach have
plastic needles and repeated heating to over 160 degrees (closed car in
the summer sun), makes the ends of them droop and for some reason
(obviously having to do with the stresses in the molded plastic) they
bend toward the gauge face. On the tach they seem to actually touch the
face at around 5K. The fix is to remove the tach, take the plastic
cover off of it and using a pair of needle-nosed pliers and a hair
dryer, heat the needle up until it becomes pliable and then bend it
back away from the face of the gauge (but be careful not to bend it
side-to-side). Then hold it in place 'till it cools. I had do this with
my tach when I first got my car. The reason why I didn't think of it
was because I could tell that my engine was continuing to rev even
though the tach needle stopped, and I figured that this guy's engine
really was being rev-limited by something. I can't imagine someone not
noticing that the tach was sticking.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0 'S'