[alfa] Alfas as Investments -- Here We Go Again

Dan, yeah, I hear what you are saying but there is another side of the coin regarding increasing values.

Let me first run down some of the bad things about increasing values. New parts costs might go up. Undoubtedly used parts costs will go up for those cars which are appreciating in value. Okay, the next one I especially hate - it brings out the shylocks who know shit about the particular car but know it is increasing in value. Often they have the means to buy up or lock in these cars and then begin asking ridiculous prices. I'm sorry, but if there is a desirable car which has been properly restored, it deserves to be sold for a Very Fair price. However the shylocks (I mean the term to represent a very generic group of those "dealers" who are either oblivious or knowingly misrepresent a car's true value) often get the upper hand as they did in the mid to late eighties.

Now some of the good things about appreciating values. Many cars which had sat around for years got restored during those times. True, some much better than others which goes right back to those who are in it only for the buck or do it because they love what they're doing. Perhaps many of us have grumbled about some of the prices at Re-Originals. Would you go to great lengths to stock parts for cars which no one is willing to spend a dime on? Actually the logical thing to do would be to find or instigate hard-to-find parts being remanufactured so you could fill a need - providing the need is actually a legitimate one.

Back to a bad thing about increasing prices: Regular guys won't be able to buy a fixer upper and then spend several or more years getting it back in shape.

So? Go back through your early Road & Tracks and look what Bugatti's, Ferrari's, Dusenbergs, and other very rare "used" cars were going for. True, $5k was closer to being worth $5k then, still it was not a ton of money in the long run, though certainly out of the reach of "regular guys".

Yeah, I have a vested interested to see prices go up, but still feel most Alfas are considerably undervalued - especially compared to British and German cars of the same eras.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA

*********
Dan Nicholes wrote:

Those of you who read the Weekend section of today's Wall Street Journal
saws the reference to the 1965 Giulia Sprint GT listed as a "buy" automotive
investment opportunity. Here we go again.

I like the idea (myth? dream?) that my Alfas are growing in value in the
marketplace, but I remember the '80's when collectible cars' values went
through the roof. The prewar cars that the WSJ now does not consider a good
investment have lost a lot of their cache because they are not affordable.

I admit my bias. I love my Alfas because I love to drive them. In fact, I
prefer to use them as daily drivers. I sincerely hope that this article is
not a harbinger of speculative Alfa buying.

Dan Nicholes
'67 Duetto
'91 164L