[alfa] Re: Insurance esp. Alfettas

>Having just bought an Alfetta, I'm intrigued.  But I must say, if every
>Alfetta owner can start getting $10k for their Alfetta in crashed
condition,
>then driving them all into walls might simply be too much to resist!

>bs

It's not a perfect idea or scheme, but the intent is to get the
insurance to pay for the repair. I've put so much into my Alfetta,
I could not get it back to it's condition with a few thousand.
And if it were replaced by another, I would still have all that
engine/suspension/interior/paint work to do on top of it.

People often want the insurance company to total their car so they
have more money for a brand new car; this idea is not new. A girl I
knew got her car stolen and when it came back, the interior was a
bit messed up and it had a few scratches, as well as punched key hole,
ignition and no radio. Since the insurance company hadn't seen the
car yet, and she wanted a new car, we keyed every panel of the car,
cut every piece of the fabric, and sliced up the dash more. The problem
was since the car was worth so much, she got a new paint job and new
interior with the other repairs needed. It sort of backfired, but the
car ended up nice.

I'm thinking the other direction; push the insurance to pay $4 - 6K in
repairs if needed, instead of cashing out $2500 for an Alfetta. The
ads for expensive Alfettas is just some justification for that. It
may not work in every situation.

Anyway, it doesn't seem to be getting any support.

Stefano
Walnut Creek, CA