[alfa] My 1989 Milano Verde needs help?

Does a Milano have to have a certain kind of cat? Is there a break-in period for a new cat?

I had a new one put on than got the car smogged the next day. I could here a kinda cooking rumble for the first few days with the new cat but no smoke or smell. Passed smog the day after it was installed and the car was running better than ever. But now...not. I've checked all the videls to no avail. I'm running a stock 3.0L with the only mod to the power unit is an Anza exhaust w/o the center muffler. Yes, it is too loud.

Help.
Thanks