[alfa] Re: alternator problems

Thanks everybody,

I jacked up the front of the motor and the bolt came
right out.  Took out the alternator and held it in the
air triumphantly!  Took it apart and saw what motor
oil becomes when it dies.  After lots of engine
cleaner, water, compressed air, and electrical contact
cleaner the alternator looked pretty good.  I put it
back in and started hooking belts up and what not.
That was when I noticed that there was coolant leaking
from the bleader screw on the new thermostat that I
installed this morning.  The screw was from the old
thermostat and was probably as old as the car.  The
flange had cracked from the head of the screw and
coolant could leak by.  I scoured the hardware stores
that were open on a sunday but could not find a M14
with 1.5 threads.  Hope that Centerline is open on
holiday tommorow.  It is not often that you can tell
your girlfriend that your car is more of a woman than
she is and have her agree!! (Girlfriend says,
"Giuliana sure is moody!") Please, no offense intended
to women.

Anyway, going to jump the car tommorow and see if the
alternator pumps out enough juice.  Also going to
check the starter, as suggested.

Thanks,
Tim Spruill
Baton Rouge, LA