[alfa] Re: Guide to buying a 164S?

Trunk hinges, engine, struts:

One thing you should look for that I believe is not mentioned in the FAQ is the trunk lid hinges. Due to the spoiler, the S model needs more force to keep up the trunk lid than what the Base/L does. The first 91 models to reach our shores (built before 09/1990) were equipped with horizontal springs similar to those on the B/L but stronger. This setup is reported to work well. In 09/1990, they changed to vertical gas struts. Unfortunately the struts are too strong for the hinges. The weld points (3 or 4 on each side) for the hinge supports break and the hinges make creases in the rear fenders from the inside.

I had this problem which required me to have the hinge supports welded back in, using stronger welds. This requires removal of the rear seat and rear deck as well as all trunk liners. The creases were repaired and the rear of the car repainted. Before I had it fixed, the loose hinges had also ruined the trunk lid so I needed a new trunk lid as well.

Alfa changed the hinges again in 07/1991. B/L and S now share a new type of hinges but spoiler models still use stiffer struts.

In 1992, on occasion of the so-called 92 facelift and the introduction of the Super in Europe, the hinges were changed again. These hinges appear on the '94 US models (LS and Q).

The source of the above information is the Alfa Romeo factory parts CD-ROM.

Some internals of the engine were reportedly changed at a time that coincides more or less with production of the '93 US models. This change seems to coincide with the introduction of a new oil pan which is not interchangeable with the older engine and therefore may serve for indentification. These changes should not affect performance, but presumably extend longevity. The Alfa V6 is quite durable already, though.

I have noticed discussions here and elsewhere about belt tensioners on 164's. Although this is an issue mainly with 24 V engines, I believe there might be more than one design for the 12 V engines (such as the S), and it would be worth looking into this before you buy (maybe someone more knowledgeable can contribute more about belt tensioners on 12 V 3.0 engines).

Strut problems show up by a red light next to the Auto/Sport selector buttons being on. These problems may be due to bad electrical connections rather than broken struts. As far as I can tell from the electrical manual, the struts do not report their damping ability to the suspension ECU. However, electrical troubleshooting of the suspension system is beyond most shops as there does not appear to be any diagnostic tool to plug into the diagnostic port of the suspension ECU, at least not in the US. A non-functioning electronic suspension defaults to the Sport mode, which is quite sufficient for most driving, save poorly maintained city streets.

Good luck,
Sonny
1991 164 S
Baltimore