Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 05:32:21 -0500
From: "Dan Lewis" <lewisdk6@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] '88 Spider Quad Blowin' Fuses

  Short background here... I just re-installed the motor/trans after
rebuilding.  After getting my wiring correct, it started and ran fairly good.
Took 'er out for a short drive and after about 7 blocks, it just "died".
Tried crankin' it and checked all connections.  It turned over OK but no
start.  Got it home and started looking close; found the fuse behind the
passenger seat was blown.  Don't know if it blew as/when the car died, or
when
I tried re-starting it.  All other fuses check out alright and everything
else
works.
  OK, it's actually only one fuse that keeps blowin', not "fuses", but that's
the problem.  It's the in-line (red 12-Ga wire from battery) 10-Amp fuse
behind the passenger seat, in front of the ECU, and it blows when I try to
start it.  I've metered it to ground, showing no continuity on either side of
the fuse, so I'd say that particular line isn't shorted out.  I have removed
the main fuel pump (it ops checked good) and disconnected the in-tank fuel
pump.  With both pumps out of the electrical loop, the fuse still blows, so
it's not the pumps themselves.
  Without a wiring diagram/schematic, it'll take a lot of skull-sweat to
trace
my way through there; then it'd be more of an educated guess that something
was "wrong" somewhere.  Plus, I just may go broke buying 10-Amp fuses!!  Does
anyone out there on the web have a wiring diagram for an '88 Alfa Spider
Quad???  I haven't been able to find one yet.  Or, failing that, does anyone
have some similar experience and have gotten it fixed?  I would greatly
appreciated any and all feedback/guidance/directions on this one.  I have a
fair amount of electronics maintenance in my USAF background, so, given
procedures and targets, I can follow directions and hunt down a fault
alright.
I just need to know where to look!
  Thanks, any and all, for your assistance.  Dan