[alfa] Re: '88 Spider Quad Blowin' Fuses

 Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 05:32:21 -0500
From: "Dan Lewis"  <lewisdk6@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] '88 Spider Quad Blowin' Fuses

 Short background here... I just re-installed the
 motor/trans after rebuilding.  After getting my wiring
 correct, it started and ran fairly good. Took 'er out for a
 short drive and after about 7 blocks, it just "died". Tried
 crankin' it and checked all connections.  It turned over OK
 but no start.  Got it home and started looking close; found
 the fuse behind the passenger seat was blown.  Don't know
 if it blew as/when the car died, or when I tried
 re-starting it.  All other fuses check out alright and
 everything else works. OK, it's actually only one fuse that
 keeps blowin', not "fuses", but that's the problem.  It's
 the in-line (red 12-Ga wire from battery) 10-Amp fuse
 behind the passenger seat, in front of the ECU, and it
 blows when I try to start it.  I've metered it to ground,
 showing no continuity on either side of the fuse, so I'd
 say that particular line isn't shorted out.  I have removed
 the main fuel pump (it ops checked good) and disconnected
 the in-tank fuel pump.  With both pumps out of the
 electrical loop, the fuse still blows, so it's not the
 pumps themselves. Without a wiring diagram/schematic, it'll
 take a lot of skull-sweat to trace my way through there;
 then it'd be more of an educated guess that something was
 "wrong" somewhere.  Plus, I just may go broke buying 10-Amp
 fuses!!  Does anyone out there on the web have a wiring
 diagram for an '88 Alfa Spider Quad???  I haven't been able
 to find one yet.  Or, failing that, does anyone have some
 similar experience and have gotten it fixed?  I would
 greatly appreciated any and all
 feedback/guidance/directions on this one.  I have a fair
 amount of electronics maintenance in my USAF background,
 so, given procedures and targets, I can follow directions
 and hunt down a fault alright. I just need to know where to
 look! Thanks, any and all, for your assistance.  Dan
If you buy the 'Factory Service Manual' from IAP ( #04264, $59.95 ) - you shall find what you need ( not necessarily what your looking for... ).
Save your skull-sweat for those things that require it.
Perhaps the Main or Drive Relay's are in cahoots. Or the fuel pump has developed a short to ground.
Looking at the Wiring Diagram will be most helpful here.
Good luck!
No affiliation, etc.
--

jeff clark