RE: [alfa] GTV fuel problem

> This is concerning what I believe to be a fuel problem on my 72 GTV
> 2000.  I thought I would ask for opinions here before I ripped into the
> fuel injection when I really didn't need to.  Anyway,  the car had been
> running rough, but only at low idle speeds, for about 2 weeks.  It
> would frequently stall at stop signs or traffic lights.  But once I got
> over approximately 1500 rpm, it ran fine.  On the highway the other
> day, it seemed as if the fuel supply cut out completely.  Luckily, I
> coasted to a safe stop and had the car towed home.  My immediate
> thought was the fuel pump.  However, when I advance the key one step, I
> can still hear the pump running.  But, the pump seems to run at a
> higher speed and I can't hear the fuel being sucked through.  I have
> not detected any gas leaks, on the pump, hoses, or near the injectors,
> although my wife with her super sensitive nose, constantly complains of
> gas odors.  Is there a fault in the pump, a hose leak, or is this and
> injection problem.  Any comments are appreciated.  Thanks!

The fast running fuel pump might point to a clogged filter, or maybe you ran
out of gas and the pump is sucking air, but the car running fine above 1500
RPM would seem to indicate the filters are fine.  Either way, it might make
sense to replace it.

The cut out would seem to point to a fuel pump problem, but it could also be
a malfunctioning micro switch?  Or maybe an injection pump belt?

The poor idle would point to an injection problem, either the pump settings,
or possibly the thermostatic actuator.

Does the car run now, or is it still in a non-running state?  If it won't
run, then you might start by checking to see if you're getting fuel to the
injection pump with the key turned.  You might also check the injection pump
belt..

Do you have the Ingram Spica manual?  If not, I'd recommend it,
troubleshooting is covered there in depth.

bs