[alfa] Re: Spider shift boot replacement/Coolant bottle holddown

Colin hath scrivened;

>Hi all,

>Can anyone point me in the direction of directions for
>replacing the gear shift boot on a 1978 spider?

The top of the console has to raised up.  It's held in place at the rear by
the two screws at the foot of the console and two screws, one on each side,
st the dashboard by the radio.  The boot itself is held on to the console by
a retainer ring -- the bottom of the boot is folded over the edge of the hole
in the console and then a retainer ring clamps it to the console.  If the
ring has been misplaced, I've heard that using very small spring clips (the
black ones used to clamp papers together from Office Depot/Office Max/Staples
will work as well.  The retainer ring can be a real PITA to get back on, I've
been told.  When reassembling, make sure that the added thickness of the boot
doesn't interfere with putting the lever in reverse or fifth.

>While we're at it, I ordered a new coolant overflow
>reservoir and cap--likewise no instructions. Mine is
>kind of taped on and dilapidated. Surely there was
>some kind of bracket or band that held the original in
>place? Are these available?  Don't know why they are
>missing.

There is supposed to be a metal band with a sort of screw cam lock that holds
the bottle in place.  On Bosch cars, the bottle is next to the coil and
often has to be moved to get to the distributor, A/C, etc.  The band is a
real PITA so it's often "removed."  The bottle really can't go anywhere on
those cars anyway -- not sure about the SPICA cars. One possibility would be
to use nylon webbing instead of the metal band along with a webbing buckle.

My $0.02, YMMV.

Bill Bain
AROC Atlanta
'83 Spider