[alfa] Re: Re: 24Valve 164 Production Numbers

"How could they get it so wrong?" You ask. Well, I don't know about in Europe, but I do know about the USA.

First of all. Americans are used to dependable automobiles. Americans cars, traditionally, are not very good cars in the dynamic sense, but they've always been comfortable on the road (as long as you drive slowly), and dependable - I.E. They always can be counted upon to start in the morning and get you to work. They have also been generally low maintenance (the dependability and low maintenance aspect or US cars is applicable for the car's first 100,000 miles, anyway.). The cars could be counted upon to not fall apart and to not require major components to be replaced - at least for that first 100, 000 miles. And that was fine because American cars were always fairly cheap and were replaced every three years or so. This has been a fact here since the 1920s, at least. Europe is different. Except for some post-war German models, European cars have generally been high-maintenance and not very reliable. When European cars started to be sold here in great numbers after WWII, the ones that were really successful (VW, Mercedes, and to a great extent, Porsche) were successful because they were dependable. Italian cars never were. Alfas, were bought by enthusiasts who bought them because they were a delight to drive. They bought them and they put-up with their unreliability and high maintenance for that reason. The Rust Debacle of the 1970's pretty much killed-off Italian cars in the USA altogether. Lancia left in '78, Fiat in '81 and finally Alfa in '95. BUT in Alfa's case it was just a matter of a lingering death. The Rust Debacle ruined Alfa's reputation here. Sales plummeted. Some cars like the GTV-6 and the Spider did well, but understand that Americans never saw Alfa Romeo as a purveyor of sedans. Sure Gulia TIs and Supers sold here in small numbers, but Americans saw Alfa Romeo as a mini Ferrari, and purveyor of fairly expensive but nonetheless delightful small sports cars. With rocky sales, Fiat's Alfa Romeo entered the 1990s with nothing much to sell here. The highly praised GTV-6 had been discontinued and not replaced. The Spider was getting so old that many Alfa enthusiasts were on their third one. It was getting increasingly difficult for even the most dyed-in-the-wool enthusiast to get up enough enthusiasm to buy another one "just like the other one." Then came the Mazda Miata (M5 to you Brits). Here was a thoroughly modern sports car with pretty much the same performance as an Alfa Spider with more room in it than an Alfa, cheaper than an Alfa, and with the promise of Japanese build-quality and low maintenance, high-reliability driving that the Alfa just couldn't deliver. Then came the 164.

Remember, Alfa enthusiasts buy Alfa Sports cars. The 164 was a sedan. Not only a sedan, but a FRONT-WHEEL-DRIVE sedan at that. Add to it the fact that it looked like a Peugeot, and you have a classic recipe for buyer ennui. It turned out that most Alfisti didn't buy 164s. People who did buy them were people who looked at Lexus, Infinity, Peugeot, Saab, BMW, and for some reason chose the Alfa. Unprepared for the high maintenance costs and high frequency of repair, these people soon became very disenchanted with an aspect of Alfas, that we Alfisti had long ago come to grips with as the price we pay for having so much fun behind the wheel.

So, in short, Alfa Romeo entered the middle of the last decade in the US market with essentially no products to sell. The word was out on the 164. It was not a "Consumer Reports" high-reliability car and not enough people were interested in buying an almost 30-year old spider design. The result? Alfa sold less than 500 cars in all of North America (including Canada) in it's last year here. I have no doubt that if Alfa had held on for two more years the introduction of the current Spider (especially with the V-6) the new GTV and the 156 would have turned Alfa's prospects around in this country, People would have bought the 156 for it's looks alone (especially the lovely estate wagon). Alfisti would have traded-in their old spiders and GTV-6s for the new Spider and GTV in droves. Alfa would not have been able to keep-up with demand for a while.

Just my take on events, but I think the reasoning's sound.

Cuss and Discuss as they say?

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0 named 'Sophia'