[alfa] Growley sounds & cutting out

Yeah, it's me again. Alfetta GT cut out again yesterday. Big time. Did the same on the way home after a sushi run two weeks ago. Needed to make a run to El Monte Paint this a.m. so checked plugs first. Do look like they're either running a little lean or hot or too advanced (very light gray on center and side electrodes and on insulator). Since I have MarelliPlex decided to go from .25" to .30" on the gap then switched out the control module with a another (used) GM one. Drove a mile or so, got on the onramp and it died dead. Not even a little warning like slowly cutting out then increasing. Got over by hook or crook and switched the module back to the "original" GM unit. Made it there and back but took cross country streets.

Obviously I need a new control module, but have had a growley sound emanating from (I believe) the front of the clutch housing which would make the rear bearing, as the Alfa manual refers to it as, suspect. Possibly other bearings in the transmission are giving up the ghost. Haven't lifted her up to have a really good listen with a tube to ear and the other on various portions of the transaxle. Afraid what I might hear.

Now...is it possible, since the driveshaft turns full time, that if the bearing / bearings are freezing up they could mimic an engine cutting out? Sort of the tail wagging the dog or, in this case, a frozen tail not allowing the dog to wag?

I'm thinking a new control module won't hurt, but ain't gonna completely solve the problem.

Oh yeah, no whosh from the gas cap. Have clean clear inline filter between 40DCOE carbs as a sight glass. Yes, it's full. New fuel pump. Yup, acts like a fuel problem. Don't think it is.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA