[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V10 #310

In a message dated 8/30/2004 9:29:28 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:45:27 -0700
From: alfacybersite <acs@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] California regulations

Biba said: "I'm sort of laying low since the Sheriff's helicopter flew
over while I was primering late last evening. Then later a small plane
flew directly over my, unh, err, exterior spray booth, at a pretty low
altitude. Big Brother or merely paranoia? Only time will tell."

Jay Mackro replied: "Biba - I hope you made out OK. While I would not
condone production painting outdoors, I suspect that the amount of VOC
you are putting into the pristine air there in Irwindale is minor
compared with what the the local 'burger joints are spewing out."

*******

Actually today is most likely the "Dreaded Day of Reckoning". Since it
was the Sheriff's helicopter wasn't sure who would come knocking on my
door if I was /  am under surveillance and will be cited - Sheriff's,
AQMD, Bureau of Automotive Repair, or most likely the Code Enforcement
guy from my beloved city of Irwindale. Since the City folks only work
Monday through Thursday, today will be their first opportunity to stop
by for a chat. Oh yeah, the Sheriff's helicopter circled several times
both this past Saturday and Sunday while I was filling and sanding.

I do want to point out I don't paint outside - okay maybe the loose
parts, but paint inside with the door closed with a largish filtered
exhaust fan in a plywood shroud which fits below the overhead door and
picks up virtually all of the "particulate". Not an official paint booth
by any means but does cut down on a lot of the "bad stuff" from going
into the atmosphere. The epoxy paint I use outdoors is a bit iffy
environmentally, but dries in about 20 minutes so obviously the
"particulates" don't go very far. The high build primer dries in seconds.

Generally I paint about one car a year. This year is a bit unusual to be
doing two within a few months of each other. Also makes me more of a target.

Solvents: I don't have time to dick around with stuff which "sort of"
degreases parts and the car itself. I clean parts with either Home
Depot's Paint Thinner or most likely, lacquer thinner. I use Castrol's
Super Clean which I buy by the gallon from Kragen's or Pep Boys.

Biba
Irwindale (at least for the moment), CA USA