[alfa] Re: California Regulations (degreaser)

At 05:15 PM 8/30/04 +0000, Jay Mackro wrote:   <snip>

 I tried to buy some
degreaser at my local AutoZone yesterday.  The guy there said it just
isn't sold anymore, at least not in this state.  Now, maybe I am dating
myself, but I us ed to buy something called "Gunk Super Concentrate",
which was a brown liquid that you mixed with gasoline to make a parts
cleaning solvent - the stuff would turn a milky white when you hit it with
water, removing itself + dirt-impregnated oil pretty well.....

My questions are: 1) What are my fellow Californians using to clean
parts? and 2) Can car enthusiasts in other states/countries still use
products like Gunk?
2) I live in an unregulated area of Tennessee, and I can still buy the product you described, "Gunk S-C Super Concentrate" in quarts and gallons. I mix it with Kerosene and it makes a fine degreaser that leaves a clean, non-oily surface when washed off with water (warm water better, and with a little added dishwash detergent even better).

The instructions describe it as a soap and to mix it with no less than 5 parts of "aliphatic type petroleum product" and further recommends 9 parts as the appropriate mix for most degreasing jobs.

The stuff works great, I use it in my parts cleaner and also in pump spray bottles when cleaning engines or engine bays. The low volatility and flash point of kerosene make this a safe product in terms of flammability and the ability to store it. I can't imagine mixing it with gasoline however.

//kct, Powell, TN